Protect Your Skin from the Hot Virginia Summer Sunshine
Leesburg VA is home to some great outdoor activities like hiking, biking, fishing or watching the kiddos around the little league fields. If you’re planning go out into the summer sun, make sure you take care of your skin.
- Use an ample amount. The recommended application for adequate protection is 35 to 40ml per person or a handful. For example, if you apply too little SPF15, it may only be equivalent to SPF8.
- Save yourself some money. Bargain brands are as effective as expensive brands.
- Apply correctly. Sunscreen should be applied to clean, dry skin 30 minutes before exposure.
- Find the shade between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. when the sun is strongest.
- Put more sunscreen on. Perspiration, exercise, swimming and towel-drying removes sunscreen from the skin. Remember to reapply after these activities.
- Everyday use of sunscreen on your face and back of the hands will limit the chances of developing dry leathery skin, wrinkles, mottling and other signs of premature aging.
- Wearing more loose fitting clothing in the sun, a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- Use a “broad spectrum” sunscreen with a sun protection factor of at least 15.
- Don’t be fooled by overcast weather. 80 percent of ultra-violet radiation is still present on cloudy days.
- Children and babies need greater protection. Use specially formulated kids’ ranges with gentler ingredients and higher SPFs.
Summer in Virginia means it’s time to hop off the couch in your Bellemeade Farms apartment and get outside. Where do you go to enjoy the outdoors near Leesburg, VA? Leave a comment below.
Photo by Tom Newby on Flickr.